Monday, April 4, 2011

Clam Chowder

Being a native Mainah (from Maine), there are many things that I like and that are important to me that might seem bizarre to other people. For example, I am obsessed with L.L. Bean (the clothing, the boots, the store..pretty much everything about it), I love lobster, I think driving in the snow is fun, I thrive in the small towns and small cities, I love the beaches and coasts, and I know I couldn't live without the extremes of all four seasons. So, when I came to college I wanted to make sure that I could keep at least something that I loved from Maine: clam chowder.

I was very excited when I found out that Stuart Dining Hall ("Stu", on Newton Campus) served clam chowder a few times a week. I usually end up getting it once or twice a week, depending on when I eat at Stu. This clam chowder is very good, and I considered it one of the best I had ever had (I know, surprising, since it's dining hall food) until I got it at The Rat one day (today!). Oh my goodness, this is probably the most delicious clam chowder I have had in a long time. Although they are both the same brand (Kettle Cuisine), the chowder at The Rat is thicker, creamier, and has more "stuff" in it. By stuff I mean potatoes and chunks of clam. I have had the chowder at Eagle's Nest for lunch and it isn't very good. It's pretty watery, which is fairly disgusting. They barely serve clam chowder at Mac, Lower, and Hillside, so those would have to be at the bottom of my list. Though, I would like it very much if they started serving it there so I could pass judgment.

So, with all that being said, here is my list of rankings:

1. The Rat (delicious!)
2. Stuart Dining Hall (gotta be loyal to my dining hall!)
3. Hillside (although I have never had it, I heard it was decent)
4. Eagle's Nest (never had it here, but I feel like it would be alright)
5. Mac & Lower (never seen either advertised so they must tie for last)

Whether you like clam chowder or not, you will definitely start getting a feel for where you like eating the most and the least the first semester of school. It's important to try different things at different places and see what each dining hall has to offer because each is unique.

http://www.bc.edu/offices/dining/

Questions or comments about clam chowder or anything else? email me! cornisab@bc.edu

:) Abby Sue

No comments: