Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Freshman Year is Wrapping Up...

It's crazy to think that I am almost done with an entire year of college. College has been something that I have anticipated for my entire life and I honestly can't believe that I have been here for months now. I have lived on my own now for about 8 months. This means I have done my own laundry for 8 months, chosen my own dinners for 8 months, decided my own exercise patterns for 8 months, etc. Without my parents' watchful eyes studying my every move I have had the freedom to do whatever I wish whenever I wish. This has been one of the biggest learning experiences of my life. I have been able to do my homework and relax at my own leisure. This means that there have been many nights I have finished my homework before dinner and many nights when I have been up until 2 or 3 am doing homework. Some of my friends don't even start their homework until 1 am! There are some weeks I don't even have any homework! In order to survive college you really need to maintain a balance of a proactive and a "go with the flow" mentality.

I was definitely more uptight before I came to college. In high school I didn't understand how some of my friends were so laid back. College has helped me relax in a positive way. However, as the end of my first year approaches I keep reminding myself about the importance of relaxation. I keep fighting off the old, psycho Abby that used to make me go crazy. I cannot even begin to tell you all how many things I have had to do in the past month or so. It is very easy to get a little stressed around this time of year because most professors have final papers/exams due (sometimes in additon to their scheduled finals) all at the same time. However, it is important to remember that everything is manageable and everyone is going through the same thing.

Everyone always asks if college is more difficult than high school academically. I'm not sure if I am able to answer this question. All I can say is some weeks are difficult and some weeks are really easy and stress-free. So, when deciding whether to come to BC or not, don't worry about it being too difficult. It's going to be tough at times but it is going to be very rewarding when you do well. Trust me, I have lived here for a year and have had a blast! Now, I am going to keep reminding myself of this very advice as I navigate my way through the end of my freshman year.

Questions or comments about living on your own, academic rigor, or anything else? Please email me: cornisab@bc.edu

:) Abby Sue

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This has helped me a lot with my college decision. You have great wisdom concerning balance between academia and social life. I'll be sure to contact you next year if I decide to come to BC!

Thanks, Abby!